Tuesday, January 14, 2014

HOMEMADE SUGAR SCRUB! (Good for Dry Winter Skin and YOU CAN EAT IT TOO!)


So I know it's been quite awhile since I last posted.  The last time I posted was at the start of September,  the seasons were changing, summer to fall, I was sick as a dog.... Man am I glad THAT is over.  I think it was a combination of things.  But I think it mostly had to do with the Ragweed in the atmosphere! I think it was just an allergic reaction, that went way too far... Man I don't wish that on ANYONE, how horrible! Now I am back, way more healthy, started taking my vitamins regularly, and really listening to my body, taking it easy when I'm under the weather, instead of pushing myself.

Now it is the NEW YEAR! 
Happy 2014 EVERYONE!

Hope you had a great NYE, I had a nice relaxing one, and Avi and I also celebrated our 5th Year Anniversary on New Year's Day, by lying in bed all day and doing absolutely nothing, lol.  It was lovely! 

So It is officially WINTER, and my skin actually isn't TOO dry, except for one odd little patch on my right arm.  It started off looking like a zit, and me being the skin picker I am, decided to try to pop it and pick away at it, and then it turned into a larger patch that started to look like eczema. I showed it to my aunt and cousin because my cousins get eczema and she told me to try sugar scrubs.



So then a lightbulb went off in my head
 (she calls me lightbulb face hahah!) 
I decided to kind of research how to start making my own 
Sugar Scrubs out of 
ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS! 

The problem with store bought sugar scrubs is that they are loaded with CRAP!  They are filled with tons of chemicals to improve shelf life, change their scent, or color.  All of those chemically fragranced cancer cocktails are totally not good for your skin, and most tend to make my skin either too greasy, oily, or even more dry and itchy!! Not to mention suffocate your pores! Your skin is the largest organ you have so, it's important to feed it things that are going to hydrate and make it glow!! 

So the past couple days I have spent some time in my kitchen with just a few practical ingredients that you can find in your kitchen pantry or fridge!! 

Let's get started! 

Ingredients

2 TBSP Raw Organic Sugar 
(Should be Brown in color)

1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil 

1 TBSP of the Juice from Half of a Small Lemon

1 Biotin Caplet (1000mgs) 


Step 1 
Find a small jar for your concoction! 
Make sure it is clean before you use it, 
I just rinsed mine out with some palmolive dish soap.
Make sure it is completely dry before you add your sugar to it, 
cuz you don't want it to clump! 

Step 2 
Measure out your 2 TBSPs of Organic Raw Sugar and 
add it to your mason jar!
Doesn't it sparkle so beautifully?!?


Step 3
Measure out your 1 TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Place it in a small cup to the side.
Measure out your 1 TBSP of Fresh Lemon Juice 
from half of a small lemon.
Place that in a separate small cup, to the side.


Step 4 

Take your 1000mg Biotin Caplet 



and crush it into a fine powder
using a mortal and a pestle! 


Now I am not sure if biotin will work as a topical, and I have looked for some information on this all over the place.  It is unknown whether it works as a topical or not... But I figure it can't hurt. Although, it is best if the caplets are taken orally. Follow the directions on the bottle for dosage information! Biotin is good for hair, nails, and skin, so why not add it to our concoction!? 
(You can find Biotin caplets at any health food store, or in the vitamin aisle at almost any pharmacy!)

Now that all of our ingredients are prepped and set out for us to use readily, here is what you do!

Stir in a little drop of olive oil and mix that up until it's all mixed in. Then add some lemon juice till it's all mixed up evenly as well. The sugar will start to look crumbly...  Then more olive oil, more lemon juice, stirring evenly until it starts looking more goopy.  You may or may not even need the full teaspoons of both oil and lemon.  If it ends up too watery, then add more sugar back in!  

 I kind of experimented with my textures.  I tried one in a more crumbly texture, and one in a more goopy texture.  Try them both out for yourself and see what you like the best! 

You could also add essential oils for scent, or healing properties.  Some like to add chamomile, or lavender... 
I didn't have any of these things on hand, so I just kept it simple for now! 

There are many ways you can do these sugar scrubs! Get creative!

Instead of Olive Oil, try Coconut Oil!! 
Coconut Oil is SO good for your SKIN!
Instead of lemon juice, try the fresh juice from an orange! 
It is YOUR sugar scrub, do what you want with it! 

Here is the texture I ended with...


Now take a small dollop in your hand and massage into dry areas of skin!  Don't those little sugar crystals tickle your skin!!?!  It feels so soothing!! Scrub for a minute or two, then rinse with cool water, and pat skin dry with a cloth towel.

Store your jar at room temperature, and be sure to stir your mixture before each use! 

Now here is one thing you can do with homemade spa products, 
that you can't do with those store bought cancer cocktails...

TASTE YOUR PRODUCT!!!

Yup, that's right, 
YOU CAN EAT IT TOO!!!!
(I think I just about ate half of my concoction, omg it's so yummy and lemony, sugary, sweet!)

Now, if you can EAT a product , 
then it MUST be safe! 

100% NATURAL INGREDIENTS! 

Try it, Enjoy it!
HAVE FUN SUGAR SCRUBBING!

Let me know if you try this, and also if you try it with 
other natural ingredients! I'd love to know what you come up with 

Please also check out my good friend Dena's video for her yummy coconut oil sugar lip scrub!


:-)

Thanks for reading! 


5 comments:

Dena Miller said...

Justina, your sugar scrub looks and sounds AMAZING!!!!! I love how you added the lemon juice and suggested orange juice. I agree that it is so much better to create your own mixture. It is not only fun to do but as you said, so much healthier for your skin and body!!! Thanks you so very much for linking my video and Blog! You are so sweet(haha as sugar) for doing that. Great post you have shared here! I loved it♥
~Dena

Justina said...

Thanks Dena!!! I would like to try your method as well with the coconut oil! I have been hearing amazing things about that stuff! Thanks for stopping by :-)

Thesestars said...

Wonderful read and visuals. I want to make some right now and lick my fingers---doesn't it make sense to be able to eat the stuff thats us better---than all those lotions loaded with chemicals. I'd like to see more of these please.

Justina said...

Yes Renee!! I plan on experimenting with some different flavors as well! I'd even like to try maybe larger crystals for a more coarse scrub, or even try a salt scrub instead of the sugar... There really is so much you can do with this concept!! :-D
Thanks for stopping by !
xoxo

Blogger said...

3 Researches PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

This means that you literally burn fat by consuming coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!